Thursday, February 16, 2006

Service Electric bumps WBRE/WYOU

No, the Nexstar duopoly hasn't been eliminated from the Service Electric lineup. But as a blog reader notes, the cable company has switched channels on them. WBRE, formerly on channel 3, is now on channel 13. WYOU, formerly on channel 2, is now on channel 12. And in their original slots are Philadelphia's KYW and WCAU.

A possible motive for this switch-a-roo? You may remember that Service Electric settled with Nexstar demands for retransmission fees earlier this year. It sounds like the cable company is sending Nexstar a message...

And if you're a Service Electric subscriber, you can catch up with Justin Pizzi, Dawn Timmeney, Jim Osman, and Stacey Weaver, all of whom left WBRE/WYOU in the past few years! So much for waiting for the Saturday "Where are they now?" posts!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To correct the channel issues.. WCAU (NBC10) was moved to channel 3 and the TV Guide channel was moved to channel 2. KYW (CBS3) is on channel 22 which, at the moment, was not touched.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't have happened to a nicer company. I don't have Service Electric, but I would love to see Channel 50 get sent into the stratosphere on every carrier. 500 channels of sh*t on my TV? Put 'em at 499 and 500.
Just for the record, while I agree that cable companies suck, there's only one thing I hate more, and that's Nexstar. No credible argument can be made for turning a local originating station into a pay channel. Anything that can be picked up with rabbit-ears was meant to be free. Nexstar should pay the carriers for getting their crappy signal into areas it wouldn't normally reach. I can't believe they ALL caved so easily on this.
When the chant goes from "I want my MTV" to "I want my Nexstar", then I'll change my tune.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This soooo angers me! Two corporations have a disagreement and the consumer gets dissed. I have to reprogram my VCR because of their changes!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The airwaves used to belong to the public, and The FCC was built upon that premise. Guess who began the process that stole the airwaves from us, the public? Why, holy crap, it was Ronald Reagan and his deregulation of EVERYTHING. We got screwed, corporate America got filthy rich. FWIW, cable companies wrote the book on greed; owning a cable company is like having a license to print money, always has been...

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they wanted to be creative they should put WBRE on 11 and WYOU on 13 their permament DTV assignments.
BTW I understand that Blue Mountain Cable in the AUBURN / DEER LAKE area of Schyulkill County has kept WBRE on but swapped WYOU for KYW.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home