Saturday, June 16, 2007

Grading the Video: WNEP

I wasn't able to catch the 6 p.m. news tonight for my ongoing video critique, so I tuned to WNEP at 11 p.m. I'll get to WYOU tomorrow. As always, I don't count video that came from other sources, like network video or online video. Ergo, I won't mention the Obama YouTube story, or the Lancaster County murder (unless WNEP did go down there to cover the story).

Schuylkill Murder
Unless my eyes deceived me, I saw a major mistake in this video. It's called a flash frame, which I saw somewhere before Ryan Leckey's stand-up. And I'm sure there was better video for this story, as I flipped over to WYOU, and saw video of what looked like blood at the crime scene, and a makeshift memorial there. Final grade: F

A Tree Falls in Scranton
You couldn't do much better for the story: we got to see the tree that fell on the highway. Final grade: A

Snake Wranglers
Again, you couldn't do much better: we see video of people handling snakes. It's hard to not use video like that. Final grade: A (because I was hoping someone would get bit)

Nay Aug Reunion
This story was a perfect example of what some in the business call BOPSA. It's short for "Buunch Of People Sitting Around," which you normally see in stories about municipal government meetings. In this story, we saw kids playing, and adults sitting around. Final grade: C

Cancer Walk
The story was about people walking around a track for a cancer benefit event, and that's the video we saw. Final grade: B

Endless Mountains Concert
Let's end the newscast on a happy note, with video of a bluegrass concert in Tunkhannock. I'd have liked to have heard more of the music, but I guess that's why God invented CD and MP3 players. Final grade: B

That's what I think. How about you?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WNEP always seems hard pressed to me to find stories to report. Not too many stories here either. Gee, could the rumors be true that WBRE beats WNEP hands down in the quantity of news on their broadcasts?
WNEP/D- WBRE/B+

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

16 always had the best photogs. in the market, but now they've all taken early retirement.

Don't get me wrong: they all still work there, it's just that they don't WORK there anymore. They're all going through the (slow) motions, just collecting their paychecks and plotting where they'll go for lunch.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that (although I feel odd saying it) I have been watching the WYOU/WBRE for the night news. There seems to be better stories and more stories. I know that when WNEP starts with a story dirst done at noon, there is nothing new to report.

By the way, not to be mean but what happened to the dress code for reporters? It seems that jeans and muscle shirts are the norm now and I find it unprofessional.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cannot agree with you more about the jeans comment...Can't these reporters go out and buy a pair of slacks...
They look like thugs out there...
BTW...can someone tell Ryan Leckey to tone down the editorializing he does during his standups- It's like he graduated from the Debbie Dunleavy School of Broadcasting...Hey Howard- what do you think of Mr. Leckey's standups?

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WNEP's video has always been horrible. Maybe if they would brush the cobwebs off of their sticks they could shoot some decent video.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home